Labels

Saturday 30 May 2015

2015 Montreal Spartan Race Experience part 2 - the Sprint and being volunteer medic

&&& we're back at it, folks.

Except maybe me. I personally chose not to run the Montreal Sprint. Why? In part, I strongly suspected it was a redux of last week's Super (turns out to be true), and this same thing happened last year, which I found none too pleasing. But since many of the girls are participating, I can't NOT be there.

One thing I hadn't done up until then was volunteer for a Spartan Race. I've said in previous posts about volunteers making the race a great experience, so having found out last year that volunteer medical team is an option and I have some qualifications to help out, I sign up and figure an adventure is going to happen.

The core medical team work several dates for Eastern Spartan Races and they are very, very cool and organized people (evident by the Costco-sized bag of Allan jujubes on the food table...yes those will come in handy later on) Turns out that we may be a bit short-staffed (ie cannot have staff running off to every phantom call) so the plan is to do a lot of dispatching and getting a set of eyes on situations before calling for backup. Honestly the way these people work, it didn't seem like team members were missing. A sigh of relief at the last minute when 4 guys who turn out to be firefighters show up.

I get paired with Gab, a physio, as part of the "MSK (musculo-skeletal) Team", and among our tasks is to help out with muscle cramps, ligament sprains, and whatever else may arise. We were patrolling the cluster of obstacles at the bottom of the hills, including the start line wall jump, the monkey bars & grip traverse, cargo nets, rope climb section.. I'm hoping no one lets go of the rope, it is measured at 25 feet.

Meanwhile, the elite wave has taken off and we're enjoying a bit of calm before the proverbial storm. The first elite racer to come flying into view is Jesse Bruce. He makes his way up the first cargo net and, like most of the elites, flips his feet over the top to quicken his descent. The crowd that has gathered  hasn't seen that maneuver before and a huge "OOOOOH" is heard. When Claude Godbout arrives as the emcee announces she's the frontrunner of the female elites, a large cheer erupts from the crowd as well. Girl power!

As the morning goes on, we get calls for things like calf cramps and rolled ankles. As I'm helping out a racer on the slopes of the sandbag carry, I spot Patrice coming up the hill. Situation resolved, a high-five later, back to patrolling and swinging by the CMQ tent set up on site; end up spending most of the day doing this.

Myself (in my volunteer hat), Patrice, Crystal, Tanya & Tracy

At around 11:30 myself, the head medic & dispatcher Jill - a smart cookie, totally cool under fire with a wicked sense of humour to boot - and head physio Caroline all go out for a trot. We go to the monkey bars to check a guy's ankle; further up is the tire carry where a guy asks for Band-Aids for blisters (because he isn't wearing socks), and I spot CMQ'S Caroline and Karine approaching. More hugs!

I also spot a friend, Emma, who's doing her very first Sprint. She's still smiling and I'm glad she invested in a hydration pack and is finding it tremendously useful. I end up helping her out with some burpees at the spear throw.

Jill had regaled me with tales of medical team escapades to stave off boredom, such as chasing after a racer only to have them do burpees. Initially I'm horrified as us athletic therapists can be so considerate and almost too goody two-shoes-ish to comically mess with people's heads. After the burpees with Emma, Jill and Caro have already made their way downhill, so I start running to join them. My fannypack is bouncing up and down on my waist (a reality of an athletic therapist), and I hear footsteps behind me. I keep going until I find the team and glance back...and there's no one. I lost whoever tried to follow me! Gee, this could be fun...

Of course, people trying a Spartan for the first time and who aren't used to the terrain or the efforts required, could sustain some serious physical injuries. We did deal with a bad knee injury and an ankle as well, and occasionally Gab & myself had to help out at the cuts and scrapes tent. I saw first hand at how the rope climb can shred hands & fingers. Ouch.

I really did enjoy this experience, and felt a real sense of teamwork. Of course it helps to have experienced personnel who have a grasp of everything, but also they were great to work with. I really wouldn't mind working with them again; in fact since I am on site on Sunday I tell them to give me a shout if they ever need a hand.

Sunday Sprint

Hooray for a season's pass! Free parking!

It had been a long enough day of driving and being outside so no surprise was a 9:30pm bedtime. When was the last time I did that while not being sick?

Today I get to chill in the Mudd Queen tent and watch the proceedings as a spectator, another first. Some girls who ran yesterday are at it again; Saturday while making one of my many stops in the tent, I got to say hi to Daniela who'd finished by then. When asked how her race went, I think she answered, "Well, it was alright..." Then without another word, she opened her palm to reveal what was inside - a Spartan coin! She'd qualified for the World Championships! Loud epiphany in the tent.

Again cheering on the male elites, Caroline and myself follow Jesse and Benjamin as they finish up their obstacles. A pair of ladies turn and curiously ask us if we know them personally! Ah, the small OCR family.

I also get to play photographer at the Platinum Rig and watch most of the elite wave go through. When 2nd place finisher Allison Tai makes her way through and practically inverts herself to kick the bell, she draws a loud cheer from the spectators.


Jen Milligan has also gotten her Spartan coin, so awesome. I'd love to get a coin...just equip me with a jetpack at the start and I'll be good to go.

Honestly, not racing was just as fun for me as for others who were racing. Great seeing everyone with their finisher medals or getting through the Platinum Rig, and as a plus no one from the medical team had to come and get me.

Next up is XMan Race Sutton! Can't wait to see the gang again and have a crack at the new obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment